Wednesday, November 7, 2007

#7 blog about technology

Yesterday I bought a new mobile phone... Next G...they are so cheap to make that the salesman threw in a GPS for free... the very next holiday gadget that we were treating ourselves with. This year I had to wait till we got into range of a town to use the mobile phone to contact everyone. Two years ago it was queueing up to use the telecard at a call box. Next year and Next G if we choose the right bit of bush for a campsite we will be emailing, surfing (on the web not at the beach)as well as phoning. Unreal!

That GPS unit... it could be the saving of our marriage. Navigating in an unfamiliar town, now I have reached the stage of life when my glasses have to be off to read the map, but back on to see the street signs can be fairly fraught! That is an unexpected side benefit!

The best of the photos I take can be uploaded to my flickr account and tagged with the map references. In 1? 2? 3? years time when I need a new camera it will probably have a built in GPS and map references will be part of the metadata for each photo.

So what..well, somewhere near the Davenport Ranges this August we found some stone chippings of the kind associated with the making of spearheads. We were were fairly hazy about where we actually were... but with a GPS not only would we have known that we were within 10 km of the track we were looking for but we could have pinned the location of the artifacts. I'm sold already!

No comments: